The Wheelwright Shop is an iconic feature of the Gladstone landscape, located in a prominent position on the main intersection. Established in 1994 by Greg and Ali Lang, The Wheelwright Shop specialises in traditional wooden wheel and carriage building. While the business is currently on hold due to Greg’s current role as Mayor of Carterton, they ordinarily undertake:
- Wooden wheel manufacture and repair
- Traditional horse-drawn vehicle manufacture and repair
- Conservation and restoration of all forms of wooden-bodied or framed transport
- Conservation reports
- Steam bending
- Solid rubber tyre fitting
- Traditional coach painting, lining and gold leafing.
They have produced horse-drawn vehicles and other art department requirements for major international films such as Lord of the Rings and The Last Samurai, and regularly welcome group tours of the workshop (by appointment only).